Quest Johnson Orthodontics is taking part in the worldwide support for Autism this month!
What is Autism Speaks?
Autism Speaks is a charity with the goal to increase the public understanding and acceptance of autism spectrum disorder. Aside from the amazing outcome of this charity, they are famous for their “Light It Up Blue” campaign. Wear blue to your appointments in April to show your support for Autism Speaks.
Facts about autism according to Autism Speaks:
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates autism’s prevalence as 1 in 68 children in the United States. This includes 1 in 42 boys and 1 in 189 girls.
- An estimated 50,000 teens with autism become adults – and lose school-based autism services – each year.
- Around one third of people with autism remain nonverbal.
- Around one third of people with autism have an intellectual disability.
- Certain medical and mental health issues frequently accompany autism. They include gastrointestinal (GI) disorders, seizures, sleep disturbances, attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), anxiety and phobias.
Because Quest Johnson Orthodontics is a check-in 4 charity member, you can show support for Autism speaks by checking-in on Facebook at our office. Each time you check-in participate in our donation to Autism Speaks in April. Another fun way to get involved is to wear blue at your April appointments!